b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] feast for ears? Psalm 40:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] feast for ears? Psalm 40:7
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 02:03:08 +0000

I thought Psalm 40:7 could say "a sacrifice and a gift offering You did not
desire, ears You gave a feast (You prepared) for me, a burnt offering and a
sin offering You did not ask," but I was told several reasons why this is
wrong. I did not realize that Psalm 40:3 is translated as saying that G-d
lifted David from a pit of destruction, but it could be from a pit of noise.

Maybe instead of G-d being given food as sacrifices, the ears of the people
in the great congregation got a feast.

Psalm 40:7, 10-11 could say that David gave G-d praise instead of sacrifices
like Psalm 51:16-18 also says.

Maybe a pit of noise and ears are connected in some way. Of course, some of
the other explanations about ears being opened could fit with the quote about
David being lifted out of a pit of noise.

Kenneth Greifer