b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] feast for the ears? Psalm 40:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] feast for the ears? Psalm 40:7
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:12:15 +0000

Hey Kenneth, I would stick to the traditional reading of this one. It would
appear to me 'digging' of the ears may represent some sort of idiom which
means to make a point clear to the listener. So it is almost as if he is
saying "sacrifices you do not desire, you have made that clear to me, burnt
offering and sin offerings you did not ask for."

The LXX seems to agree with this idea with WTIA DE KATHRTISW MOI
--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

From: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>

On 11/16/07, kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe Psalm 40:7 says "a sacrifice You did not desire, ears You gave a
> feast for me, a burnt offering and a sin offering You did not desire."
>
> Could this be like the saying "a feast for the eyes" when something looks
> nice? Maybe King David spoke about how great G-d was in Psalm 40:10-11, so
> he gave the people a feast for their ears.
>
> The verb kaf resh hay is usually translated as dig, but it is also
> translated as to give a feast once or twice (?).
>
> Kenneth Greifer

"A slaughtered (sacrifice) and a propitiatory gift you did not desire,
ears you prepared for me, you did not ask for whole burnt offerings
and offerings for sin"

More idiomatically, I see the second and third parts of the verse
working together: 'you gave me ears, you didn't ask for ...' with the
idea that 'I didn't hear you asking for ...' I think the Greek
translation has more of that idea.

KRH to furnish as in to provide, a derivative KRH provisions, once in
2 Kings 6:23. The verb is used a few times in the context of
"furnishing" a well or pit, as in preparing one (done by digging) but
it does not itself mean "to dig".