b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 12: 5: RK$

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 12: 5: RK$
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:01:16 -0500

I would translate RKU$ of Genesis 12:5 as 'assembled possessions, or 'mobile property' [German: Möbel, Moebel], or 'transportable possessions'. In particular, the word does not appear to refer to owned land, contrary to its present day usage.The word is derived from the root RK$ through the insertion of the personal pronoun U = HU) for the thing itself. The presence of the letter R in the root implies that it refers to a material state of aggregation or dispersion. By the equivalence of the letters D, Z, T [Tet], Y, S, C, $, T [Tav], and then G, H, X, K, Q we obtain all the immediate relatives of RK$: RGZ, RG$; RXC, RX$; RKS, RK$, RKD
רגז, רגשׁ
רחץ, רחשׁ
רכס, רכשׁ
רקד
The NAB translates RAXA$ of Psalms 45:2 as 'stirred'. In the KJV it is 'overflowing', while Luther sees it as 'dichtet', namely, a variant of )R$, and )ARE$ET SPATAYIM of Psalms 21:3. In spoken Hebrew RAXA$ is mostly used in the sense of 'creep, crawl' as of a swarm of insects.
The root RKS in Isaiah 40:4 is 'collect or pile up' resulting in REKES, 'mound'. In spoken Hebrew the root is used in the sense of 'hitch, knot, fasten, button-up'. Correspondingly RUKSAN is 'zipper'.
REKE$ of Micah 1:13 is 'team or group of beasts'.
"luxury commercial goods [a pillow and a stool?]" is an added flourish of the imagination.

Isaac Fried, Boston University