b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Academic Debate"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Academic Debate"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 21:56:15 -0700

On 1 Nov 2007 at 5:12, Yigal Levin wrote:

> [...]

While it sounds very impressive, this is actually elimination by definition.
How many
hurricanes have been observed in "controlled conditions"? Or glacier
formation? Or the Big
Bang? There is plenty in this world that can't be so observed, and history
in particular
requires its own set of rules that are necessarily outside the realm of
repeatable
observation. Let me give an example. A few days ago marked the 126th
anniversary of a
famous event in American history. In Tombstone, Arizona Territory, there was
a showdown
between four members of a questionable group and four members of a group
purported to
represent law and order. A bloody battle ensued and three members of the
former group
were killed, while two of the latter were seriously wounded; a third was
grazed. The fourth
member of the former group ran away when the shooting started, while the
fourth member of
the latter group was untouched, and became a household word in America: Wyatt
Earp.

There was an inquest, a preliminary hearing to determine if there was enough
evidence to
charge the Earps with murder. Several witnesses claimed that the cowboys had
their hands
up and were in the process of surrendering when the Earps opened fire;
several other
witnesses said that Billy Clanton, one of the cowboys, fired one of the
opening shots. The
hearing went on for weeks, and even though the judge in the case ultimately
exonerated the
Earps, the controversy continues to this day. Some claim that the Earp side
fired first, while
others accept Wyatt's version in which he and Billy Clanton fired the first
two shots, more or
less simultaneously.

How can such an event be repeated in controlled conditions? It can't,
obviously. I've spent
about 10 years researching it (just for fun) and I have definite opinions on
the subject that
don't matter here, but I, and everyone else who has looked into it, has to
work from a corpus
of testimony that is fixed pretty much for all time. And there's the problem
for modern
science: historical events can't be repeated. Until somebody builds a time
machine so we
can go back and watch for ourselves, testimony from people who were there is
all we have.
Hence, the so-called rules of scientific observation can't apply here, or we
end up with
nothing.

Some testimony contradicts our own experience. The ancient Chinese have a
record of a
star that just appeared in the sky, blazed bright enough to be visible even
during the day for
a time, and then vanished. We've never seen such a thing, and we can't do
any kind of
experiment to repeat the observation. All we have are the ancient records.
Now, we know
from astronomical observation that there is such a thing as a supernova, so
we conclude -
reasonably - that the Chinese probably saw a supernova that happened
relatively close to
our solar system (in astronomical terms). *But we don't know for sure.* We
assume it was a
supernova because that's all we know that could potentially produce such an
effect. But we
can never know *for sure.* All we can do is take the testimony and come with
the best
explanation we have available, even if it contradicts our current experience.

> In the world as we know it, if a person writes about events that happened
> in
> the past, he either: 1. had written sources, 2. depended on oral tradition,
> 3. made it up. Possibility number 4, "God told him", does not work in the
> world that we live in, which leaves the other three to be discussed on a
> case-by-case basis, which I'm willing to do, but not right now.

When writing several centuries after the fact, like us, that's true. But in
the case of ancient
testimony, we also have to deal with the possibility that it was written by
someone who was
there. The "world as we know it" is quite limited. There's a whole
historical realm that went
before that often defies our imagination. We can't judge it by our current
world without
doing it a major disservice. Even if what they left behind includes messages
from
Something beyond their comprehension. I'm not going to take it any further
than that,
because it gets too far afield. My point is, we can't just write off their
claims because they
don't square with our "modern" experience. Shakespeare, via Hamlet, said it
best several
hundred years ago, and we do well to heed his words.

Dave Washburn
Why do it right when you can do it again?