b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 6-Month "Year"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 6-Month "Year"
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:16:10 +1100

Jim,

I take it from your response that you are not willing to admit that
your theory is outside the mainstream. If you are, you have an odd way
of stating it. The way I read your response, you are claiming to be
the mainstream and everyone else is outside of it. Of course you think
your view is correct - every person thinks that of themselves. But
this is actually not what I was asking you. I was asking you whether
you admit your view is not mainstream (whether you perceive the
mainstream to be correct or not). It was question of self-awareness,
not evaluation.

Finally, nothing in your answer makes me 'nervous' or 'uncomfortable'.
The spin you put on the evidence does not seem convincing to me, even
to say that we have a significant problem here - that's that, plain
and simple. You have not, in my estimation, inspired a Copernican
revolution in the way we view the ages of the Patriarchs. Sorry, but
that's my evaluation. And since it doesn't seem likely that we'll find
any resolution or come to any agreement, I'll leave it at that. I'll
give you the last word, but I don't see any gain for either of us in
continuing this particular debate. So, I'll only respond again if you
manage to pull off that Copernican revolution with your next post.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Moore Theological College (Sydney)
1 King St, Newtown, NSW 2042, Australia