b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] paleo Hebrew / modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] paleo Hebrew / modern Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:52:02 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)

Surely a shorter route would be to go straight from the current Hebrew to
musical notation? The intervening step of using Old Hebrew letters seems
superfluous, as it would be easier simply to map final letters to the same
note as the non-final form. The more difficult issue is that of matres, as
no one is sure in every case which represent historical [i.e. Classical
Hebrew, not Proto-Hebrew or earlier] consonants and which don't

Kevin Riley