b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] build/rebuild

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "ג'ייסון הייר" <jaihare AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Trevor Nicholls" <tmjpbn AT xtra.co.nz>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] build/rebuild
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:28:51 +0200

Trevor,

Solomon said that he *built* (בניתי "I have built") the first house
for HaShem, and I am pretty sure that a building did not exist in the
location and for that purpose before he constructed it. I agree with
you: בנה [BNH] can mean either "build" or "rebuild" as the context
demands. Sometimes we find, though, שוב [$WB] with it when it
specifically means "rebuild," as in Daniel 9.

Regards,
Jason Hare
English Teacher
Rishon Le Zion, Israel