b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Interchangeable letters
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 07:31:50 -0700 (PDT)

Let us keep in mind that the original pronounciation

of Kaf was indeed K, a totally separate Semitic letter

from the H(.)et.

The BGDKFT variations are later developments, possibly

in or after the Persian period, but the timing is not

certain.

In the the modern Israeli pronounciation both letters

sound alike, but this has nothing to do with the original

sound of these different letters. Oriental Jews who don't

emulate the Ashkenazi misprounciation clearly keep the

difference. So of course does the Arabic.

Now, the the pre-historical development of human

languages in general, and Semitics in particular, I leave

to those who enjoy speculation.

Uri Hurwitz

to warrant the > consideration of X and K as "interchangeable"? >
Worth thinking about. The similarity in what we think of as the meaning my
be a secondary development. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Ideas,
anyone? Yigal Levin

http://mail.yahoo.com