b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 40:6 (Isaac Fried)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ps 40:6 (Isaac Fried)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:11:33 +0200

> Any suggestions on how to understand (and translate) the phrase at
> the end of the second line of Ps. 40:6?

On meaning of the root (RK is "worth"
in particular to place a monetary value on something.

For example, in Leviticus 27 there is a list of monetary values
for people of various ages, for animals, and for real estate.
The word used is (RKK, which is a somewhat strange form,
but it clearly means the monetary value.
In particular, when the priest estimates the value of each donation,
it is the hiphil form of this word.

The same word is used elsewhere in expressions such
as to add one fifth to the value,
and the value of clothes and food (Judges 17).
Psalms 50:21 is probably also this meaning
(I will tell you how much you are really worth)
although the translations I have seen don't understand it that way.

It is only a small step to use the root to mean
to compare value. In fact, in later Hebrew "about the same (value)"
is B(RK. A famous prayer based on the Psalms 40:6 wording
says )YN (RK LK W)YN ZWLTK = there is no-one like you.

Yaakov (J) Stein