b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] tetragrammaton - YHWH and the PN Yitshaq

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] tetragrammaton - YHWH and the PN Yitshaq
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

You may wish to look up the so called "Amorite" PNs from Mari, and
discover their meanings and functions, some biblical names just follow
the pattern. Such personal names usually call for a benefit from a
deity,
such as protection, help, blessing etc.

Now sometimes such names appear in abbreviated form, note for
exaple Barukh or (Ezra, where the name of the deity was dropped.
Such a 'nickname' ,or hypocorosticon, is exactly Yitshaq , derived from
a longer * Yitshaq-el or * Yitshaq- hadad = may the deity smile
[on the person named].

You mentioned Ya)aqob again; this is another abbreviation from a longer
"may the deity protect'. The name appears in Mari over a dozen times,
in Egypt, as one of Hyksos kings, and elsewhere as I mentioned before.

As for the meaning of the Tetragammaton, the possibility that this divine
name too is an abbreviation is held seriously by some. It falls
in the catogery of the "deity is established" or the"deity exists"
names such as the biblical Yehoyakhin.
Thus the original form of this name long before the Hebrews shortened
and adopted it was * "Yahweh-El" or *"Yahweh-Haddad"

Uri Hurwitz

----- Original Message -----From: "Isaac Fried" <if at math.bu.edu>
Isaac Fried wrote:

> Your assumption that the rules of grammar apply to names may be
> wrong. Sorry, but I can not contemplate a biblical name such as he-
> will-laugh.
>
> Isaac Fried, Boston University.

Catch up on fall's hot new shows on Yahoo! TV. Watch previews, get listings,
and more!