b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Oun Kwon" <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: "JimStinehart AT aol.com" <JimStinehart AT aol.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:27:57 -0400

On 10/6/07, JimStinehart AT aol.com <JimStinehart AT aol.com> wrote:

<clipped>

> Finally, instead of seeing "
> Gerar" as being a fictional locale in the Negev Desert (which is not, by
> the
> way, "between Kadesh and S(h)ur" in any event), I view "Gerar" as being
> historical Garu, a portion of which, per the Amarna Letters, extended as
> far
> west as the coast of Lebanon. (The later mention of "Beersheba" means
> little,
> as the "Beersheba" that Hagar goes to in the middle of chapter 21 of
> Genesis is obviously a different place than the "Beersheba" to which
> Abraham goes "
> at that time" [Genesis 21: 22] at the end of chapter 21.)
> I am mainly worried whether the grammatical construction I am proposing for
> Genesis 20: 1 is possible in Biblical Hebrew.
> Any thoughts would be very greatly appreciated.
> Jim Stinehart

A question: you place Gerar in the Souther Lebanon?

What about these texts:

Gen 10:19 And the territory of the Canaanites extended from Sidon in
the direction of Gerar as far as Gaza,

2Ch 14:12 So the LORD defeated the Ethiopians before Asa and before
Judah, and the Ethiopians fled.
2Ch 14:13 Asa and the people who were with him pursued them as far as
Gerar, and the Ethiopians fell until none remained alive, for they
were broken before the LORD and his army. The men of Judah carried
away very much spoil.

Does not this Gerar sound like to be located further south of Gaza?

Thanks,

Oun Kwon.