b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Call for Papers - Jewish Names (October 1, 2007)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Joseph I. Lauer" <josephlauer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <ANE-2 AT yahoogroups.com>, <biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com>, <Hasafran AT lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Aaron Demsky <demskya AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Call for Papers - Jewish Names (October 1, 2007)
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:17:35 -0400

I am posting the following at the request of Dr. Aaron Demsky and
encourage further circulation and posting of the notice.

Call for Papers
Jewish Names
(October 1, 2007)

I am happy to inform you that the Organizing Committee of the forthcoming
International Congress of Onomastic Sciences (ICOS 23) to be held from
Sunday, August 17 to Friday, August 22, 2008 at York University, Toronto
(Canada) has asked me to create a section on Jewish names. This is a first
in the field of Jewish onomastics and we want it to be a success. While
papers on all aspects of onomastics are welcome (e.g. personal names, family
names, place names, names in literature, brand names, etc.), ICOS2008 will
have the following central theme:

Names in Contact: Names in a Multi-Lingual, Multi-Cultural, Multi-Ethnic
World

We are now accepting proposals for papers on Jewish names and naming
patterns from the Biblical to the Modern periods reflecting all the relevant
disciplines of literature, history, linguistics, sociology, folklore and
toponymy, etc. In particular, we want to encourage scholars researching
North America or the western hemisphere. Please submit an abstract of 200
words to Prof. Demsky below. Deadline for submission of proposed papers:
October 31, 2007

For further details on the Congress program including scheduled outings and
fees see
the congress web-site: http://www.yorku.ca/vpaweb/ICOS2008 .

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Professor Aaron Demsky
Professor, History of Ancient Israel
Director, Project for the Study of Jewish Names
Department of Jewish History
Bar-Ilan University Ramat-Gan, Israel 52900
Home: Rimon 3
Efrat, Israel 90435
tel 972-2-9931-878
fax 972-2-9932-208
demskya AT mail.biu.ac.il

  • [b-hebrew] Call for Papers - Jewish Names (October 1, 2007), Joseph I. Lauer, 10/01/2007