b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Stress

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yaakov Stein" <yaakov_s AT rad.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Stress
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:34:51 +0200

> OK I will state my case again. There are no "paragogic" letters in
> Hebrew, and there can not be "paragogic" letters in Hebrew. The
> ancient Hebrews did not construct their language out of "paragogic"
> letters and "thematic" vowels. The Hebrews did not slap a extra H ...

There are two main reasons for adding a "he" at the end of a word.
The "directive he", which is usually unaccented (YMH, QDMH, ...),
and what is frequently called the "paragogic he", which is usually
accented
and used to express urgency ("he hazeruz"), such as LKH, N$QYMH, RYBH

There are certainly other final he forms, remnants of archaic
constructions
(e.g. )YMTH in the song of the sea).

Y(J)S

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Stress, Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann, 09/26/2007
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [b-hebrew] Stress, Yaakov Stein, 09/30/2007