b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <michaelabernat9001 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Was Schewa really silent?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:39:21 -0500

"I wonder where the americans got this intricate, fine scale, pronunciation
system."
The pronunciation came from use. The notation came from linguistics. I
believe that the identification of the unstressed vowel in English with a
letter which looks like an upside down letter e came into English through the
German. German linguist Johan Andreas Schmeller originally used the symbol in
1821. It was identified with the Hebrew schwa by Giles in 1895.
By the way, if you hear the word banana as BANENA, you either need to listen
to someone outside of Boston or get your ears checked. The accent should be
on the second a which should have the same sound as the a in cat. The first
and last a's should be unstressed and barely pronounced but they should have
the same sound as the u in hut.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy