b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] resource material was chalal-perforate/pierce?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:10:18 -0400

Uri,

You are right. These images appear to originate with pagan, sea faring, deep-water, fishermen having glimpsed the behemoth of the see, or stood in awe before the mysteries of the watery THOMOT. Yet I am surprised that king David, even in a moment of poetic outburst, God loving exuberance, searching for words of ultimate praise, chose to recall this foreign figuration. The almighty God of Israel, creator of heaven and earth, Y' CBA)OT, QDO$ ISRAEL, CUR (OLAMIM, is not engaged in slaying, for no apparent purpose, his own handiwork frolicking in the big YAM.
For this reason I tend to think that in Isaiah 51:9 HA-MA-XACEBET is 'forming' and M-XOLELET is 'generating'. This would correspond to Psalms 104:26
לִוְיָתָן זֶה-יָצַרְתָּ לְשַׂחֶק-בּוֹ
"there is that leviathan, whom thou hast made to play therein".

Isaac Fried, Boston University