b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Matres Lectionis and critical analysis
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:36:01 -0400

Karl,

>>Slight correction. Though they are rare, there are a
>>few examples of the masc. pl. noun marker lacking the
>>medial Yod. I don't remember off the top of my head
>>where they are found, but I remember the first time
>>I ran across one while reading the unpointed text, it
>>added a couple of lines to my forehead.

I was very close to qualifying this with an "almost always", but I couldn't quite remember if there was an exception or not.

Peter Bekins
From JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk Wed Aug 29 15:44:04 2007
From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 20:43:32 +0100
Subject: [b-hebrew] Isaac Fried's Theory (was Karl's lexicon)

Hi Isaac,

IF: I repeat. You teach Hebrew as though it was an Indo-European language

JCR: I know you've pitched your whole theory on the=20
invalidity of Indo-European linguistics for analysis of=20
your theory but I repeat, this time with emphasis,=20
*there are many more languages and therefore linguistic=20
models with which you could compare your model for=20
corroborative evidence*.
=20
IF: of meaningless (word) patterns.

JCR: I don't view word which we associate with objects=20
and their actions as 'meaningless'. They are much less=20
meaningful out of context, I agree, but the
combinatorial quality of language makes them more=20
meaningful as the context grows. It was this=20
combinatorial quality of *all languages* (Indo-Euro or=20
otherwise) that made me consider your theory.

IF: By doing that you deny your student =20
the understanding of the inner logic of the language.

JCR: Your theory yet remains to be proved before your=20
statement can be taken remotely seriously. There are a=20
number of issues with your theory which you have not=20
yet demonstrated a willingness to address. I understand=20
how dear your work must be to you. It evidently took=20
you a long time. I am sure my work is open to all kinds=20
of criticisms which I am willing to take on board and=20
either defend (if there is noticeable fault in your=20
logic) or to rectify and improve my theories. Are you=20
willing to do the same? Or are you already at that=20
enlightened point where it is impossible to refine the=20
quality of your work?

IF: I clearly =20
see that you did not understand yet what I am saying.

JCR: I am aware that there were mistakes in my=20
understanding of your work. I was notified of one=20
important one, off list, by another member. But may I=20
make the observation that you made no attempt to=20
correct my misunderstanding? I am willing to stand=20
corrected. Are you willing to consider valid criticisms=20
of your model and at least attempt to address them?

IF: Of course I am not offended by your "analysis" of my work.

JCR: OK! I'm no psycholinguistic expert and I=20
definitely have a lot to learn. My ideas will no doubt=20
continue to mature as a result of research and=20
participation in discussions such as those on this=20
mailing list. But are you at least willing to=20
acknowledge any or all of the following:

i) Understanding is based on cognitive mechanisms.
ii) Research in cognition shows that objects, their=20
properties/states and their actions is the basis of=20
cognitive mechanisms in humans.
iii) The same can be said of all other animals with=20
eyes and ears.
iv) That the above facts present psycholinguistic=20
hurdles for your theory to be held valid by any serious=20
psycholinguist.

As I have said before, I am undecided about your=20
theory. As it stands you have managed (I take in good=20
faith as I don't have the time to check each and every=20
derivation for consistency) to formulate a consistent=20
model which *could* be true but has no other evidence=20
to support it. In light of the fact that we are lacking=20
direct linguistic evidence to test your model I used=20
the only alternative tools available to me to test your=20
model - psycholinguistics. As it stands, your model=20
fails and unless you are willing to make an effort to=20
research psycholinguistics and the cognitive mechanisms=20
of understanding and formulate a workable theory for=20
how your model could fit then the only natural=20
conclusion I can draw is that for your model to work=20
it would require the ancient Hebrews to have had a=20
cognitive system not only different from modern day=20
humans but from primates and all other living animals=20
that have eyes and ears.

James Christian Read - BSc Computer Science=20
http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine transl=
ation using the Aleppo codex=20
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulati=
on