b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] uncovering Boaz' 'footsies' was Samson at Gaza - Judges 16:1
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:56:03 +0100

GA: A question I have of the narrative is why could not Ruth simply confront
Boaz at some other time, such as when he was awake and with his wits about
him? If there was no 'hanky panky' (either actual or implied), why the need
for secrecy? What did it add? Why the need to wait for Boaz to be asleep
after his eating and drinking? Also, Ruth was all dolled up.

JCR: Another pertinent question is this - which is more
likely to have woken Boaz up? Ruth having her wicked
way with him while he slept or the cold sensation of
his feet/legs being uncovered?

The fact that Boaz woke up as a result of the cold in
his feet/legs seems to indicate to me that Ruth did no
more than what the text says, uncover his feet and lie
down. This is the plan that Naomi gave to Ruth.
Nowhere does Naomi say 'Be careful not to wake the old
codger up while your doing the business.' The plan
seems clear to me that Boaz had to wake up and find a
beautiful girl at his feet and the choice of whether to
take her or not was left up to him. Boaz evidently
wanted to take her as his but in respect of the law
decided to curb his desires and do what was right
before reaping the rewards.

GA: Perhaps Ruth only wanted
to make Boaz think that he had slept with her.

JCR: This would make more sense than suggesting Ruth
actually made love with Boaz while he slept because as
I said above the act of love making would have woken
Boaz up quicker than the cold in his feet/legs.

However, I'm still not 100% convinced.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation