b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Backwards Gapping and Proverbs 13:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Backwards Gapping and Proverbs 13:1
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:51:19 -0400

Peter,
I would translate Proverbs 18:2 as: "A fool is not interested in wisdom but in the inclination (revelation) of his heart".
Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Aug 27, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Peter Bekins wrote:
[cut]

Frankly, I didn't think I would ever find an example for this, but I
just kept reading and lo and behold I found Prov 18:2:

לא־יחפץ כסיל בתבונה
כי אם־בהתגלות לבו

"A fool does not delight in understanding
but in revealing his heart"

Now, I suppose you could question this one because it does not
demonstrate much parallelism. It is sort of abc:c' with "revealing
his heart" the sort-of-parallel to "understanding" but no parallel
for "fool". This is more of a sentence with a compound object, still
it is poetry and the second clause is not the object of the negative
L)-YXPC but must be the object of an implied positive YKPC. The
problem is that the KY-)M takes up the syllables needed for the
second parallel element. Also, I realize that KY-)M is a strong
contrastive conjunction while our verse has the broader conjunction
W-. However, the context of Prov 13:1 shows obvious contrast so I
don't think it is too much to ask the reader to supply the positive
verb for the negated L)-$M(.
[cut]
With tired fingers,
Peter Bekins