b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The roots LT$ and RT$

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The roots LT$ and RT$
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 04:46:05 -0400

b-listim,

In Genesis 4:22 we read: " TUBAL QAIN LOTE$ KOL XORE$ NXO$ET U- BARZEL". Since the root LT$ [related to the roots *BT$, QT$, NT$, PT $---from which PATI$, 'hammer' is derived] is devoid of the letter R it does not specify, in my opinion, a dispersed state, or describe an act of fabrication involving the removal of material by tearing, rubbing, scraping, rasping, scratching or grating. By letter permutations we relate LT$ to the roots $LT, 'oppress, dominate', and $TL, 'plant, elevate'.
For the latter fabrication mode we have: XR$, QR$, XRC, XRQ, PCR, QCR, MRQ, MRT, NSR, RDD, RC(, RCC, QR(, RQ(, GRD, GRZ and *GRT---from which *GRUTAH, 'scrap [scraped] metal' is derived. All containing the letter R.
By contrast, the root RT$, "V-(OLLEYHEM YRUT$U", Isaiah 13:16, contains the letter R and it does describe a dispersed or aggregated state. Correspondingly, the act RATA$ means 'to rend, to rip apart, to tear to pieces'. By letter permutation we relate RT$ to SRT, 'lacerate, scrape' [from which *SERET, 'ribbon [rippon?] is derived, corresponding to *RCU(AH from the root RC(] , and STR, 'shred, bury, assimilate, absorb, garble, scramble, secret, hide'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University