b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Proverbs 13:1 (was Using an unpointed text)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "JAMES CHRISTIAN READ" <JCR128 AT student.anglia.ac.uk>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Proverbs 13:1 (was Using an unpointed text)
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:05:07 +0100

Proverbs 13:1 is a perfect example of where being too
grammatical causes you to ignore the functional and see
what is so plain it is sitting right before you.

The function of Proverbs 13:1 is a series of contrasts
between people with praiseworthy qualities worthy of
imitation and people with negative qualities that should
be considered as examples not to be imitated by those
who fear Yhwh. With that simple functional and contextual
understanding of the verse everything falls into place.

The contrast being made is between the situation of a
son who listens to his father's correction and a
[insert negative translation of your choice here] who
hasn't benefited from his father's advice. No need for
any verbs, no need for any hypothetical and unprovable
gapping models we just fill the gaps with the verb
'to be' which Hebrew doesn't use anyway. I offer as an
example the NWT rendition:

A son is wise where there is a father’s discipline, but the ridiculer is one
that has not heard rebuke.

No gapping going on there. Just simple literal
translation.

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew - thesis1: concept driven machine
translation using the Aleppo codex
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc - thesis2: language acquisition simulation