b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Masoretic Pointing and CV Syllables

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Bekins <pbekins AT fuse.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Masoretic Pointing and CV Syllables
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 07:46:37 -0400

Yitzhak,

I did not mean to imply anything contrary to what you have added, I was trying to write briefly and unfortunately I was imprecise. Thank you for being more precise.

>>It is also the most authentic and complete reproduction. Tiberian
>>Hebrew represents an authentic tradition of Hebrew that was passed
>>down even as Hebrew ceased to be spoken. Even the fact that
>>Tiberian Hebrew won out against other vocalization schemes is
>>a result of the scholarship of Tiberias -- where Jerusalem's scholars
>>fled after they were expelled from Jerusalem.

The point I was trying to make is that it does not matter if we have lost the "original" pronunciation, whatever that means. Tiberian Hebrew is a valid pronunciation, it is important to understand as it is the standard scholarly pronunciation, and as I quoted from Barr and Morag it provides important historical information about the language (for the reasons you have given above, that the Masoretes maintained a spoken tradition and that they were careful scholars).

>>Northwest Semitic already distinguished o, from aw > o (holam). Ugaritic,
>>Phoenician, and Moabite, also distinguished e, and this was absorbed
>>in Hebrew possibly due to the influence of Mishnaic Hebrew, which
>>likely evolved from a dialect that also had ay > e (tsere). Tiberian Hebrew
>>further distinguished ɛ (seghol) and ɔ (qamats).

I did not mean to imply that e and o popped up magically in Tiberian Hebrew, only that the basic classes of vowels for distinguishing meaning in Semitic languages were a-i-u. Through the historic processes of sound change other vowels become phonemic in the individual languages, but for the most part these changes are understandable and explainable as you have suggested. I was also attempting to describe the vowels generically as "classes" rather than get into the 5-vowel/7-vowel issue. You have described the 7- vowel system with which I agree.

Thus we can understand X"+:) as a qitl type with i-theme vowel and (you are correct, I typed qitl by mistake) DE$E) as a qatl type with original a-theme vowel which has shifted to E (seghol) by a regular process. Using the Masoretic Text with historical and comparative studies we have access to the basic underlying phonemic structure or the "lexical forms" (however you want to put it) even if we cannot recreate exactly how any given speaker would have pronounced a sentence phonetically at the "surface level".

Sincerely,
Peter Bekins

  • [b-hebrew] Masoretic Pointing and CV Syllables, Peter Bekins, 08/19/2007