b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Signing your Messages (From Moderators)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <george.athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Signing your Messages (From Moderators)
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:11:37 +1000

Dear Members,

Thanks to those who have expressed concerns about using full names on
B-Hebrew. We do want this kind of feedback from our members to keep the
forum bouncing along nicely.

Let me make some comments:

(1) As moderators, we aim to create a forum that has scholarly integrity,
and one within which our members feel comfortable interacting with each
other. This means upholding a dynamic in which there can be up to five types
of people: (1) Someone who puts forward an idea for discussion; (2) Someone
who challenges the idea; (3) The 'lurking' observer; (4) The Moderator; (5)
The web-surfer who searches the B-Hebrew archives.

(2) In light of the dynamic described above, it is only courtesy that all
people know who they are dealing with. No one needs to know all your
personal details, but a name is a compulsory requirement. Whether it is your
real name or an alias is of secondary concern, though we encourage people to
use their real name.

(3) You certainly do not need to supply your location -- this is in no way
compulsory. We simply encourage members to supply it, but they do not have
to for the very reasons which "Jane" raised. The default 'location' of every
member is the cyber forum 'B-Hebrew'. If you wish to supply more
information, we are grateful.

(4) If you merely lurk on the list, this issue will hardly affect you.
However, you are still within the dynamic of the forum.

(5) We do not see B-Hebrew as merely a Hebrew playground. On the contrary,
it is a forum where serious academic discussion is pursued: Ideas are put
forward, they are discussed, critiqued, challenged, and finally archived. In
this regard, the forum is not like a phone call which comes to and end when
the conversation partners are done talking. Rather it is more like an
academic conference with individual papers available to all delegates and
other interested persons. You wouldn't expect a conference participant to
call themselves "Prof. Heimlichmanoeuvre" would you? How seriously could
someone like that be taken? In pursuing this policy, we are merely applying
a basic standard of scholarly interaction which prevails in the academic
world. If you thought anything less, then please amend your expectations.

(6) Although we do not expect everyone to have a PhD in Hebrew or biblical
studies, we do demand rigorous logic in the discussion of Hebrew (and logic
is not just the possession of the Professor [some would even question
that!]). As such, if you join in a conversation on B-Hebrew, you need to own
your own comments and be accountable for the things you say (just as a
conference participant is responsible for a paper they might give, or the
questions they may ask there). The beauty of B-Hebrew is that it opens up
the forum not just to the world-renowned expert, but also to the amateur.
However, this does not override the fact that we are pursuing scholarly
interaction in a scholarly forum. Withholding your name is, in the current
opinion of the moderators, not being completely forthright.

(7) Since B-Hebrew is an open forum which is archived, your comments
automatically go 'on the record' (so to speak). Your accountability, then,
extends not just to members' inboxes, but to a larger public which is
interested in Hebrew. We believe there are many people out there with
valuable contributions to make to our knowledge of Hebrew language and
literature, but we want to ensure there is a standard and a means of
accountability.

(8) Credit where credit is due -- if you do make a valuable contribution to
Hebrew, then you deserve to be acknowledged for this. Again, this is just
applying a basic academic standard.

(9) The feedback of our members is most welcome, though can I suggest you
send it to the moderators directly so as not to clog up all members' inboxes
with this issue. You can send mail to the moderators individually, or
collectively (b-hebrew-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org).

In summary, the main reasons we apply this policy of giving full names are
courtesy, accountability, and integrity in a scholarly forum.

Best Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Fellow Chairman, B-Hebrew
Moore Theological College (Sydney)