b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] etymological fallacy and the meaning of almah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] etymological fallacy and the meaning of almah
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 00:44:13 -0400

Kenneth,

To clarify where I stand on this issue I will put my best foot first to frankly express my unequivocal opinion that what is being advanced here as the etymology of the Hebrew word (ALMAH is gross nonsense, based primarily on a thorough misunderstanding of the internal logic of the Hebrew language. In their defense I must say that what the advocates are pushing is not their own invention but is lifted from some venerable authorities considered the ultimate experts on the Hebrew language.
The etymology of Indo-European is the study of the percolation and distortion of its words through time, culture and territory, and the derivation of some distinct words from a common, simpler and more concrete origin [getting the "meaning" of] such as 'shoe' and 'sky' from the basic idea of 'cover'. Many of these investigations quickly come to a dead end as the parent language with its root system and natural grammar is demolished, ruined and lost long and for good.
The etymology of the Hebrew language is an entirely different discipline. In contrast with the Indo-European languages Hebrew is still left with an intact root system and a fully preserved natural grammar. Every Hebrew word can be traced back to a root of concrete basic meaning.
See http://www.hebrewetymology.com/
The two deadly sins of the Hebrew etymological fallacy are: 1. Endowing a root with an abstract meaning, and 2. Seeking a relationship between different words derived from the same root.
1. The root (LM, which is a variant of (LP and (LT, essentially means 'tall and massive'. The act (ALAM derived from it means 'tower over, loom over, cover', and then by implication 'hide from view', and then by further inference 'be unknown'. The word (ELEM, 'tall and massive boy, young man' is a direct independent derivation from the same root, and so is (OLAM.
2. Every Hebrew authority derides the hypothetically attempted relationship between MALAX, 'seaman' [see Ezekiel 27:29] and MELAX, 'salt', of 'a man plying the salty seas', but then some go on to present same such idiotic etymologies of their own. Look at this example of a patently silly etymology caused by seeking a relationship between congruent words. From the root XSD, 'substantial', Hebrew derives the words XASID, 'pious' [the 'I' in XASID is the personal pronoun HI inserted to indicate that 'he has the property expressed by the root XSD'], and XESED, 'benevolence, charity'. Then out of the blue Hebrew generates from this same root also the bird name XASIDAH [see Job 39:13]. Heinrich Friedrich Wilhelm Gesenius is not confounded one little minute by this sudden and unexpected turn of events but knows to explain to us that this is indeed a pious bird [did he forget about pious snakes, scorpions, killer bees, fire ants, piranha fish, etc?] "so called from its love towards its parents and its young". About the bird [of pray?] RAXAM [see Leviticus 11:18] he says again that it is "so called from its affection [RAMAMIM] towards its young". By this logic Jack the Ripper should have been be known to his Hebrew friends as Raxmo Raxamimo for his affection towards his cat.
On the relationship between REXEM, 'womb' and RAXAMIM, 'mercy, compassion, clemency' Gesenius is sadly mum.

Isaac Fried, Boston University