b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] etymological fallacy and the meaning of almah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] etymological fallacy and the meaning of almah
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 01:48:38 +0000

Recently, someone on b-hebrew said that almah meant virgin because its root comes from a verb that means to be hidden , and virgins were hidden. What about the word olam ? Does it also come from "hidden"?

Also, I read on an internet site that there is something called an etymological fallacy http://www.fallacyfiles.org/etymolog.html

How do you know if the idea that almah means virgin because its root means "hidden" is an etymological fallacy? I never even heard of etymological fallacy until a few hours ago, so I really don't know much about it.

Kenneth Greifer