b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Habakkuk 1:12 - O might God, O Rock

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: schmuel <schmuel AT nyc.rr.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew-lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Habakkuk 1:12 - O might God, O Rock
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:36:20 +0100

On 21/07/2007 01:12, schmuel wrote:
Yet many versions read
"O Rock" or "(my) Rock)" rather than "O Mighty God".

Would anyone be able to give the textual and translational and contextual
issues involved.

It seems to me that the Hebrew text is unambiguously W:CW.R (we-tsur) "and rock". BHS had a proposed emendation to CW.RIY (tsuri) "my rock", but quotes no evidence for this. But, according to BDB, CW.R is used 33 times in the Hebrew Bible of God, which suggests that it had become more or less a divine title; see also Deuteronomy 32:4,18. So the versions which render "Mighty God" are simply giving an interpretive translation. LXX apparently simply omits this word.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org