b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] virgin vs young woman

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "kenneth greifer" <greifer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] virgin vs young woman
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:27:22 +0000

Harold,

I don't think Leviticus 11:41 and 43 about not eating "creeping things that creep" (or "swarming things that swarm") is a repetition that means "creeping things that creep on earth" as opposed to swarming or creeping things in the sea (Genesis 1:26) because Leviticus 11:9-12 already discusses what they can and cannot eat that lives in the water. Of course, anything is possible.

Anyway, there are more examples of unnecessary repetitions in the Tanakh, so a virgin that has not known a man might be just one more example of a repetition. I don't think anyone can know for sure why it says "that a man has not known" after betula.

A few more possibly unnecessary repetitions: Deuteronomy 17:1 "a defect, any bad thing", Numbers 19:2 "perfect, that has no defect in it". Deuteronomy 1:45 says G-d did not listen to them two different ways. He did not listen to their voice, and He did not give ear (listen) to them.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Greifer

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01