b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew List' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Object of "lamo" in Isaiah 53
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 10:16:08 +0100

On 06/07/2007 04:54, Steve Miller wrote:
[Steve Miller] The Gen 9 verses refer to Seth's and Japheth's
descendants. I don't think these are questionable at all.

Genesis 9:26 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan
shall be his servant.

[Karl] Look at the context. It mentions only that Canaan will be a
slave, not his descendants, verse 25. ויאמר ארור כנען עבד עבדים יהיה
לאחיו׃

Then in verse 26 it mentions only Japheth, not his descendants. You
are adding to the text. The same with verse 27. As far as I can tell,
this adding is for philosophical reasons, not linguistic reasons,
therefore not to be disputed on this list.

[Steve Miller] Karl, you are the 1st person I have ever met who requires
that this blessing/curse by Noah refers only to Japheth, Shem and Canaan,
and not also to their descendants. ...

You have been listening to too many racists! For most others these verses have little significance and so they don't even bother to give the obvious interpretation.

--
Peter Kirk
E-mail: peter AT qaya.org