b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Alphabetizing

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Alphabetizing
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:27:01 +0300

John, modern Hebrew usually does not use vowel points unless they are necessary to avoid confusion, and even then, it tends to use "vowel letters" (e.g. aleph for A, vav for O, yod for I, two yods for AY etc.). In something like a phone book, there would be no reason for vowels. The same for shin and sin.

However, in dictionaries, lexicons, concordances etc., the order seems to be patah, qamats, segol, tsere and so on. Also, sin before shin. I write this after flipping through a few dictionaries and a concordance, without having an "official" source. I did leave a query in the Hebrew Language Academy's Q and A email box - I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Yigal Levin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brak" <Brak AT neo.rr.com>