b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is There a Difference?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is There a Difference?
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 20:03:43 -0700

Gary:

No they are not synonyms. עוף (WP first of all is a verb referring to
generic flying, as contrasted to soaring, swooping down (a bird of
prey on its dinner) or a quick flight as in escape. As a noun, it
refers to any flying creature, including insects and bats.

צפור TsPWR is one type of bird, commonly recognized as a sparrow.
Though from its use, it looks as if it can also refer to almost any
type of small bird.

Karl W. Randolph.