b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] (no subject)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Gary A. Staszak" <sowersoftheseed AT verizon.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] (no subject)
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:28:24 -0400

Greetings,

This is my first post to b-hebrew. I have just finished my first year of Biblical Hebrew and have a grammatical question on Exod. 19:1 (my feet are barely wet). The text reads in English (according to the RSV/ Owens Analytical):

On the third new moon after the children of Israel had gone forth from the land of Egypt, on that day they came into the wilderness of Sinai.

My question is how ought one to hold the second clause temporally in relation to the rest of the passage? Stated another way, what is the reference point for "that day" (the day of the new moon, the same day the Israelites came out of Egypt, or what)?

I understand there are various theological interpretations, but my concern is more grammatical in nature.

Thanks.

Gary A. Staszak
Manassas, VA