b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Dan 9:27b and shomem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Anthony Buzzard <anthonybuzzard AT mindspring.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Dan 9:27b and shomem
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 15:15:16 -0400

Could anyone comment on the verb "shomem" in Dan. 9:27? Strictly the base form of the verb, shamem, is stative and we would expect to transate "the desolated one" (passive) rather than desolator. But in 12:11 we seem to have shomem in an active sense and also in 8:13. Can anyone decide what is the best rendering of shomem in Dan 9:27b? desolator, or the desolate (KVJ, ie desolated one).
At any event, shomem would have to refer to a person and not the city, which is feminine?
Anthony Buzzard
Atlanta Bible College

Anthony Buzzard
www.restorationfellowship.org