b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DSS Bible w/ Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DSS Bible w/ Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 06:04:33 +0300

Hi Doug,

I'm afraid that you misunderstood. Of course many of the DDS, especially the
biblical scrolls, are in Hebrew. What I meant was, that the DJD series has
the various scrolls, in photos, line drawings, transcriptions and
traslations, according to type, cave, year of publication and so on. To find
out if a certain biblical passage exists in the scrolls, one has to go to the
index in vol. 39, and then to the relevant vol., and if it exists in more
than one scroll, they might be in different volumes. The whole series is
large and expensive, and certainly not something that the average person,
even a scholar, would have at home.

Abegg, Flint and Ulrich's "The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible", is a single-volume
paperback collection of all of the biblical passages in the scrolls, set in
order of the biblical books, with chapter and verse marked, and with the
relevant DDS citation in the notes. So that all one has to do is to open up
his copy at the relevant place, and the verse will either be there or not.
Unfortunately, it only has the English translation of the texts, not the
Hebrew. As far as I know, no one has yet done the same with the actual Hebrew
text.

Yigal Levin