b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu -- correction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 8: 6[5] Teaterehu -- correction
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:17:30 -0700 (PDT)

Yitzhak Sapir wrote, inter alia:

"....the word in discussion is
pronounced ta(at'-t'aRE:-hu: because before a guttural the schewa
takes the vowel quality of the guttural...."

Wrong in the Piel -- as in the above example -- where conjugations
of verbs whose first letter is a guttural are regular.

The only exception is in the Tsereh under the Mem of the
'Bakhlam' verbal nouns.

Uri Hurwitz

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.