b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 1:19,21
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:31:44 +0300

Folks,

I allowed both comments cited below, not because I agree that either one of them is appropriate for this list, but because both are equally unappropraite. From a critical-historical point of view, both the New Testament and the Oral Torah (i.e. rabbinic interpretation) are later commentary on the Tanakh/Hebrew Bible/Old Testament. One's acceptence of one or the other as THE Authoritative and Correct interpretation of the True Meaning of the Tanakh/Hebrew Bible/Old Testament is a matter of faith, and this list is NOT about trying to convince others of the correctness of our own faiths. For one list member to say, "the rabbi understood this biblical passage as meaning so and so", and for another to say, "but Paul (or John or Jude etc.) understood it in another way" is perfectly legitimate. For either one to claim that their's is the ONLY true way, and that the others are false, is not.

Please stay within the bounds of our discussion.

Yigal Levin

co-moderator

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shoshanna Walker" <rosewalk AT concentric.net>