b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] What language?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "particle wave" <particle.wave AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] What language?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 14:59:42 -0700

On 4/14/07, Yohanan bin-Dawidh <yohanan.bin.dawidh AT gmail.com> wrote:
[...] This reminds of the perversions of Yiddish and Ladino that my people
speak,
which are dialects of Hebrew mixed with other languages. [...]

Actually, Yiddish is rooted in Middle High German, not Hebrew. It's
written in Hebrew script (I presume because it was the script that the
largest number of people in the community knew though that's purely
conjecture as I've not actually done any research on it) and has a lot
of Hebrew in it but is essentially a form of German. The Yiddish of
people from Eastern Europe also has a lot of Slavic words added in. I
can't make any claims on Ladino as I don't have any detailed knowledge
of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish

-Amir