b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Number of MSS

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David P Donnelly <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Number of MSS
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:45:05 -0400

On Sun Mar 25 11:14:33 EST 2007, Jimmy Doyle wrote:
I'm trying to find information on the number of MSS (and their relative
dates) for the Hebrew Scriptures. I have found great information
regarding
New Testament texts, even down to the details of individual books and
their
dating; but when it comes to the Hebrew Scriptures, I can't seem to find
this info. The only thing I have found is a general number of about 2000
MSS. I'm really looking for something more specific than this, but even
this will do if I can find it in reputable source.

Any ideas?
_____
http://www.truthnet.org/Christianity/Apologetics/hasthebiblechanged8/

At the above link is found the following text:

After 1100 AD
There are more then 3000 extant Hebrew manuscripts that reflect the
Tiberian tradition
and were written in the 12 century and later.
The close of this period is marked by the invention of the printing
press.
The Masoretic tradition was transmitted with very little change to the
medieval Jewish manuscripts.

Dave Donnelly