b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Verbal Aspect (was Tenses - Deut 6:4)
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:54:48 -0500

Haverim,

So Hebrew moved from aspect to tense. I know exactly the moment it happened. It was when our language teacher miss Shoshana Greenfeld first entered class and threw me, and the rest of the little participants-interpretants in the room, one of her famous dark looks. My light frisson of anticipation turned thereby immediately into a shudder of foreboding. From there on it was all tense, not even one itzy pitzy of aspect. Past became past, present was present, and future was future. In fact, all the little prophetic perfectists were at the corner shedding tears. Still, I survived, and B"H my deictic center is still steadily and briskly shifting along the infinite time axis and in the right direction.

Isaac Fried, Boston University