b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 10:10

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 10:10
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 00:07:51 +0000

On Wed 28 Feb 2007 (19:36:41), jbarach AT aol.com wrote:
> I suppose the general idea, however, may be that he makes himself small,
> crumpling up his body, in order to be hidden. But that doesn't appear
> to be the idea anywhere else where this word appears.
> And toward the end of Psalm 10,
> the word DK appears to mean "crushed, oppressed," which would suggest
> (again) that the earlier appearance of the similar word DKH would also
> likely refer to crushing.

John,

I don't have access to a big lexicon now I'm retired; but I do have
Bagster's and Strong's lexica, and Young's Analytical Concordance.

DKH appears in the Qal only in Ps 10:10; hence the difficulty.
Verses 8-11 describe the wicked man's crimes: as a brigand lying
in wait to rob (8); as a lion lurking for its prey (9a); as a hunter
snaring game in a net (9b). Compare ShaChaCh in Job 38:40. Then in
vv 10-11 we have the wicked person himself. The metaphors are over;
he himself is preying upon the poor, and impiously declaring that God
will not see him.

Or, maybe in v 10 the subject changes; the poor is now the subject,
not the villain: "He (the poor) is crushed, he bows down and falls
by the (villain's) thugs".

If the Massoretes had difficulty construing Ps 10:10, need we be
surprised that it gives us difficulty?

The LXX has KUYEI KAI PESEITAI EN TWi AUTON KATAKURIEUSAI TWN
PENHTWN.
The Vulgate has In laqueo suo humiliabit eum inclinabit se et
cadet cum dominatus fuerit pauperum (Psalm 9:31 in Vulgate).

My thoughts.

Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF ZFC Ta
<ben.crick AT NOSPAM.argonet.co.uk>

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Psalm 10:10, Ben Crick, 03/01/2007