b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] transliteration schemes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Raoul Comninos" <psalms AT telkomsa.net>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] transliteration schemes
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:04:18 +0200

I am somewhat bemused at the vast array of Hebrew transliteration systems. I must confess too that the system for this list is quite different from the system I learned and bewildering. I do not know if IU have the energy to learn it.

Is there not emerging within the realm of Hebrew scholarship anything approximating to a transliteration standard? If so, what is it, and where could one find it? In the past few months I have compared several key Hebrew grammars: Pratico, Weingreen, Kelley and Lambdin and all have different transliteration standards. I found Lambdin's grammar the most sophisticated. The SBL also has its own idiosyncratic system but I am not sure how widely it may be used in Israeli circles.

Kind regards,
Dr Raoul Comninos
93 Wagenaar Street
Monte Vista 7460 Cape Town
FAX: 0866544615
BREAD AT telkomsa.net

  • [b-hebrew] transliteration schemes, Dr. Raoul Comninos, 01/16/2007