b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Chet-yod-lamed or Chet-vav-lamed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Chet-yod-lamed or Chet-vav-lamed
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 19:00:15 -0800

Chris:

On 1/1/07, Chris and Nel <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net> wrote:
Stumbling accross psalm 51:7 I am perplexed ...

1. Is this just idiomatic? Twisting and turning in pain for example came
also to mean "brought forth"?

The verb here is XLL חלל in a passive voice. It has the meaning of
making common with a derivative sense of production.

It is neither from XWL חול to turn around vigorously as in a dance nor
XYL חיל to writhe as in pain, a very forceful action.

2. I would like to understand rather simply how the yod and vav are
interchangeable since most hollow verbs follow an either/or pattern.

The waw and yod are often used as materes lectionis, and sometimes
not. When one reads the text without points, yods can pop up where one
expects waws and visa versa, or neither will appear when one is
expected, or one or the other appears where none is expected. It all
makes for rather interesting reading.

Thankyou

Chris.