b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Pronouncing Pathach like Qamets

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dr. Raoul Comninos" <psalms AT telkomsa.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Pronouncing Pathach like Qamets
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:28:46 +0200

I began learning Hebrew using 'The First Hebrew Primer' which pronounces Qamets and Pathach in the same way. I then switched to a Semlink Course and have noted that Pathach is often (but not always) pronounced as 'a' in BAT. I recently began to study chapter 13 on Perfect Strong verbs where the grammar advises that a distinction in pronunciation be made between Qamets and Pathach (13.4). However, in listening to the lectures I noticed that Dr Pratico sometimes pronounces Pathach as short and other times as long, notably in his recitation of paradigms 13.7. I am therefore now thoroughly confused. My question is: how should I pronounce the Pathach? Should it be as a Qamets (which seems more natural) or as a in bat. Why does Dr Pratico pronounce it sometimes one way, sometimes another? Since I am at a relatively early phase in my learning of the language, I am ready to follow whatever you deem best.

Some confusion also remains it seems in the pronunciation of a Kaf which is "hard" when pronounced in the lectures and vocabulary, and yet according to 1.5 should be "soft" as in 'ch'.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Kind regards,
Dr Raoul Comninos
93 Wagenaar Street
Monte Vista 7460 Cape Town