b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Authority of holem - was Haggai 2:7 and Isaiah 41:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "'K Randolph'" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Authority of holem - was Haggai 2:7 and Isaiah 41:22
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:33:27 -0500

> From: K Randolph Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 9:52 PM
>
> Steve:
>
> I find myself asking a few questions:
>
> 1) Is there a DSS for this verse, and if so, what is its spelling?
> What is the earliest surviving attestation for this verse?

[Steve Miller] There is no DSS for the part of the verse being considered.
LXX and Aramaic translate it as plural.

> 2) While the Great Isaiah Scroll is important because of its
> completeness, how good is it for textual criticism?

[Steve Miller] It is very close to the MT. Isa 7:14 in DSS exactly matches
Matthew's quote of it, whereas the MT (and LXX, which matches the MT
exactly), doesn't make sense. (they shall call his name (DSS & Matthew) vs
you (2fs) shall call his name (MT & LXX)). Also Isa 53:9 makes more sense in
DSS. (his death (DSS & LXX) vs his deaths (MT)).

> 3) How does the plural verb immediately preceding the XMDT affect
> whether or not it is plural or singular? How would you repoint it so
> that it is not a plural verb?

[Steve Miller] With the waw on the end, the verb looks unambiguously plural
to me just from the consonants alone.

> 4) Is there a corresponding waw in all the DSS for a holem, or only in
> some of them?

[Steve Miller] In every case (17/17) where the waw under the holem was
missing in MT Isa in the imperfect form of "come", it is present in DSS. I
think that is a random sampling. If you propose another test I with about 10
instances, I will try it.