b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Shem and Japheth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bruce Prince" <bruceprince AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "b-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Shem and Japheth
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:57:01 +1100

Hi Folks

I'm wondering if you could tell me who the elder of these two was.

Some versions state Gen 10:21 as reading, "Also to Shem, the father of all
children of Eber, and the older brother of Japheth, children were born."
(NASV).

The NIV puts it this way: "Sons were also born to Shem, whose older brother
was Japheth; Shem was the ancestor of all sons of Eber."

I apologise if this matter has been discussed prior to me becoming a member
of your list.

Cheers

Bruce Prince

Australia