b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 41:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • Cc: b-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 41:14
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 00:14:57 -0500

I consider ויגלח=ו+י+גלח as being with the prefix VA, a variant of the existence marker, or substantive, בא, 'and it came to pass, and it happened', and with the inserted personal pronoun י, short for 'he'. The text leaves it vague as to who this 'he' is, Yosef or a servant? The translation (KJV) reads: 'and he shaved himself' in the Hitpael.
Isaac Fried