b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Gen. 2:16-17 :: idiom or clumsy lie

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yonah Mishael" <yonahmishael AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Fw: Gen. 2:16-17 :: idiom or clumsy lie
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:28:27 -0600

Just thought it would be nice to include the text of Jonathan's Targum:

ומאילן דאכלין פירוהי חכמין למידע בין טב לביש לא תיכול מיניה ארי ביומא
דתיכול תהי חייב קטול

WM)YLN D)KLYN PYRWHY XKMYN LMYD( BYN +B LBY$ L) TYKWL MYNYH )RY BYWM)
DTYKWL THY XYYB Q+WL

Source: http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/searching/targumsearch.html

Of course, the relevant bit is the last part )RY BYWM) DTYKWL THY XYYB
Q+WL, "for on the day that you eat, you will be liable to death." Very
interesting.

$LWM,
Yonah

On 11/29/06, Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru> wrote:
> On this day, you will surely die! But, of course, they didn't.

They became liable to die. They lost the eternal life.
Also, if my reading of the Gen2 account at
http://www.vadimcherny.org/judaism/destruction_humanity_drought.htm is
correct, they were expelled in utterly unlivable environment. Such change of
lifestyle could be allegorically described as death.
The turn is also encountered in archaic Russian, 'you will die the death.'

Vadim Cherny