b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "The Analytic and Synthetic Etymology of the Hebrew"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "The Analytic and Synthetic Etymology of the Hebrew"
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:41:25 -0800

Yitzhak:

Though I am not part of academia now (I have dyslexia, can you believe
that?), my father and grandfather were both professors, so I have
observed some of the dirty underside of academia that they don't want
the hoi polloi to know about. I have seen data falsification, even in
the hard sciences, in order to get past the gauntlet of a powerful
professor to get the sheep's skin. I have seen professors denied
tenure for no reason other than that they espoused an unpopular theory
even though otherwise their work was top notch. I have seen shoddy
work praised simply because it was politically correct among other
professors. I have seen students given lower grades, or even denied
their degrees, because they did not agree with their professors on
tangental beliefs. I have been outside of academia for decades, but
your comment below reminded me of those days.