b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hayim Baltsam - Webster's New World Hebrew/English Dictionary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hayim Baltsam - Webster's New World Hebrew/English Dictionary
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:10:53 -0500

I couldn't find anything about him on the web. So I decided to read Preface and Acknowledgements in the book. I think this dictionary is creditable for neophyte Ancient Hebrew buffs. It's what it wants to be, an easier path to translate for oneself.

It was published in 1992. So I would ask the linguists on this list to take the time to comment on the acknowledgements in this dictionary.

E.g. The discussion of the "sound wisdom" here made me wonder how many other divergencies in English definitions there exist among scholars of Hebrew. In fact, the phrase "sound reasoning" is "heegayon baree" and "wisdom" is "baree". While "toosheeya" is defined as "resourcefulness". ???

  • [b-hebrew] Hayim Baltsam - Webster's New World Hebrew/English Dictionary, Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz, 11/21/2006