b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:41:39 -0500

"Grace" is not even a concept in the Tanach.

"Chesed" (lovingkindness) is, atonement (leChaper) is, forgiveness is. I have never ever heard the word "grace" used in any Torah or Jewish philosophy class, or book.... I can't think of a Hebrew word in the Torah that would translate to "grace".

Shoshanna

I reacted to a theological treatise, so now I push Peter's question
back to David Fenton, what words are used? I know that the concept is
taught in the New Testament that we are free from the penalty of the
law, but that is not contained in one word, as Peter so correctly
pointed out. What is the Hebrew antecedent? Are we again dealing with
a phrase instead of a single word? Where is it found in Tanakh?