b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Comparing Arabic with Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz" <macnietspingal AT airmail.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Comparing Arabic with Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:06:52 -0500

The Koran established a classical Arabic language by 600 CE. Now I don't consider that ancient by any means. However, for amateurs like myself who intuit there's some assistance in comparing Hebrew with Arabic (spoken that is) that getting a transliterated version of the Pentateuch in Arabic would be mighty insightful. This is all way before RaMBaM/Rashi and closer to the original Christianity.

If this makes sense, then does anyone know if there's a transliterated Arabic version of the Pentateuch/Torah? I'm interested because the Koran loves the Torah. It doesn't replace it all. It does a Talmud Torah simplistically:) This would give me a great "feel" for the polytheistic, Jewish, Christian tribes back then in Israel/Iraq/Iran:)