b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Dead Sea Scrolls

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Dead Sea Scrolls
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:21:59 +0000

On 11/10/06, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

Why do you not contact the gentleman of the site and ask him? If he has
offended you about this matter go to that him. Get the correct information
for the other party, Mr. Moeller, instead of speculating about who, what,
when, where, why and how. Then you will have the information straight from
him. It could very well be that everything is "kosher;" then again, maybe
not.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III

Dear Bryant,

I have contacted him off-list and he responded that he does not have
proper license to publish or distribute these and suggested I give his
site "a skip." He did not give me permission to post his response on-
list but he did claim that he got the photographs from a book containing
the photographs published by the Zion Research Foundation, Boston,
and that while he had Trevor color photographs he does not publish
them because of the copyright issue. This contrasts with his claims
on the website that he posts the black and white for readability
concerns. He refused to provide an exact reference of the book or
to give details regarding the communication with the curator of the
Israel Museum. In my opinion, all of this speaks of deception: for
example, there may be no book as mentioned but he picks an
obscure publisher whose books are hard to trace and who could
concievably publish such a book to suggest that he does have some
publication which he may legally use even though he does not.
Similarly, there may have been no communication with the Israel
Museum, and his comments mentioning such communication are
meant to build publicity and reputation for his website ("my website
publishes photos you can't get anymore.") If one views the recent
photographs made available by the Israel Museum, one sees this is
absolute nonsense. Similarly, the claims regarding better readability
of the black and white photographs are nonsense. If one uses his
website, one has to keep in mind that he sometimes does not
present the facts and truth out of concern for the publicity and
legal ramifications of his own website.

Someone who is interested in legitimate DSS resources can look at
the following:

DSS Images:
1) Temple scroll:
http://www.imj.org.il/shrine_center/isaiah_scrolling/index.html
2) Isaiah scroll:
http://www.imj.org.il/shrine_center/isaiah_scrolling/index.html

Introductory discussion:
1) Introduction: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_sd/dssintro05.html
2) Damascus Document and Community Rule:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/divinity/dd&cr.html
3) War Rule: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinity/warrule.html
4) Pesharim: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/divinity/pesharim.html
5) Qumranica blog: